Ripples of the defection of some chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) continued on Wednesday with the dismissal of Minister of Sports, Alhaji Bolaji Abdullahi, from his position by President Goodluck Jonathan. He was immediately replaced by Dr. Tamuwo Danago, one of the 11 newly sworn in ministers.
Abdullahi, a protege of Senator Bukola Saraki, was booed severally on Monday during a visit by Jonathan to the state, during which he welcomed defectors back into the PDP fold in what an authoritative source said was the final disgrace for the young man, who was a Commissioner during Saraki’s tenure as governor.
According to the source, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity from Abuja: “The president is still going to cut their wings everywhere before the elections, because you cannot be fighting with us and be eating our food. That is the message he is sending to them, and he has been very patient before taking this action. You will still see more later, just wait and see.”
Saraki and some PDP bigwigs had cited irreconcilable differences with Jonathan for leaving the party for APC.
The newly sworn in ministers, who were assigned portfolios immediately, are,
- Senator Musiliu Obanikoro – Minister of State (Defence)
- Mohammed Wakil -Minister of State (Power)
- Alhaji Abduljelili Adesiyan -Minister of Police Affairs
- Ambassador Aminu Wali -Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Mrs. Akon Eyakenyi -Minister of Land and Housing
- Lawrencia Laraba Mallam -Minister of Environment
- Dr. Tamuno Danagogo -Minister of Sports
- Hajia Asabe Asmau Ahmed -Minister of State Agriculture
- Gen. Aliyu Gusau -Minister of Defence
- Boni Haruna -Minister of Youth Development
- Dr. Khaliru Alhassan Minister of State Health