Women are often seen as having a lack of libido when compared to men. This has been backed up by various statistical findings.
Doctors attribute this behaviour to the fact that the sex drive depends on the levels of testosterone, a hormone found in abundance in men. On the other hand, women have only one tenth of the amount of testosterone as men.
However, there are cases where women have increased testosterone levels, and this can cause a high sex drive in women.
What Are The Causes Of High Libido In Women?
It is important to have a healthy libido to maintain a happy relationship between partners. But, there are cases when high libido in women causes serious problems. Here are some of the causes of high sex drive in women:
- Medical Conditions: In a few cases, a high sex drive in women is cause by certain medical conditions. Such conditions can easily be treated medically. Medical counselling often helps women with a high libido by discussing the root cause of their heightened sex drive.
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse: Some women who abuse drugs and alcohol also experience a high libido.
Such women can try to work through this with the help of a therapist and the support of her partner.
There are also treatments available for severe cases. It is important to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.
- Bipolar Disorder: Women suffering from bipolar disorder usually have an increased sex drive. Also referred to as manic-depressive disorder, this condition switches from manic episodes to periods of peace. Anti-depressant medicines and counselling go a long way in controlling the symptoms and treating high sex drive in women.
- Pancreatic Endocrine Tumour: Occurrences of pancreatic endocrine tumours are very rare, but can cause a high sexual drive in women. This condition prompts the secretion of large amounts of insulin, glucagons and somaostatin, which can alter hormone levels and make a woman more sexually active.
- Persistent Sexual Arousal Syndrome: This is a serious sexual disorder that causes women to have a high libido, to the point of frustration. Even the slightest touch can lead her to have an orgasm.
Moreover, she can even experience several orgasms during the day. The heightened desire for sexual intimacy is caused by the constant swelling in her genital areas due to excessive flow of blood.
- Hyperadrenalism: This is one of the causes of high sex drive in women. The secretion of large amounts of adrenal hormones causes hyperadrenalism.
Medications such as epinephrine and corticosteroids usually increase the amount of adrenal hormones.A woman suffering from hyperadrenalism may also experience increased body hair, facial hair and deposition of fat on the top portion of her back.
- Other Causes: A child who is sexually molested may start to masturbate long before the onset of puberty. Many of the foods that we consume have hormones added to them that may increase libido in females.
Some chemicals such as DDT and other pesticides stay in the body’s fat cells and can cause a hormonal imbalance. Anxiety is another important cause of a high sex drive in women. This is because orgasms act as a way to psychologically comfort oneself.
High Sex Drive In Women During Pregnancy
Numerous women experience a high sex drive during pregnancy. This is understandable because of the secretion of pregnancy hormones. During pregnancy, a woman’s body changes considerably.
An expectant mother’s breasts become larger and more sensitive. The vulva becomes swollen because of the excessive flow of blood. This leads to more enjoyment during sexual intimacy. With all this increased sensitivity, it’s no wonder pregnant women find themselves craving more sex.
High sex drive in women usually slows down after the first trimester, when the hormones are undergoing significant changes.
However, some women have also reported an increased sexual drive right up until delivery day.
Since every woman is different, each one can have diverse sex experiences during their pregnancy.
In many cases, the partner is unable to understand the cause of high sex drive during pregnancy. It may help to remind him that you are going through a tricky time in which your hormones are changing.
Most couples enjoy having sex during this time since there is no need to use a birth control device. Moreover, with high sex drive in women, the experience is more pleasurable for both of them.
Many women do not communicate clearly to their partners and sulk in loneliness. It is important that you remain sexually, physically and emotionally satisfied during this beautiful journey. Letting him know how you feel will allow both of you to have a great time and will also help to strengthen your bond.
Testosterone Is The Culprit
Testosterone is one of the major causes of increased libido in women. Testosterone stimulates the areas of the brain that control female lubrication. However, controlling the amounts of testosterone can be very tricky. Some women experience a natural reduction in testosterone as they age. However, many do not.
High sex drive in women can also occur during menopause, when the function of the ovaries starts to decline.
This is because the hormones are then largely formed by the adrenal glands, which increases the ratio of testosterone in the body.
What are the 4 Ways To Manage Your Libido?
There are several things that you can try to reduce your increased libido.
- Some women take estrogen to counteract the effect of testosterone.
- Energy burning exercises such as dancing, running and physical labor are other things that help to control excessive sexual thoughts.
- Focusing your thoughts on things that interest you besides sex is another effective way to reduce your hyperactive sex drive. Yoga, meditation and breathing exercises also help to curb the libido.
- Testosterone blockers, or anti-androgens, are drugs that target androgen receptors in the body to inhibit the hormone molecules from finding their usual receptors.
They usually show effective results and dosages can be tailored to achieve the optimal libido re duction.
- One of the risky procedures for libido reduction is surgery that involves removing the ovaries.
However, this should only be considered after a thorough consultation with your doctor.
Libido is a major concern for women when it is either too high or too low. There are many cases of a high sex drive in women.
A slightly high libido in females is considered normal, but when excessive sexual thoughts start to interfere with your daily activities and cause your relationship to falter, it’s time to seek professional help.
Culled from: https://www.hersolution.com/info/increased-womens-libido-finding-out-the-causes-of-high-sex-drive-in-women/